Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Baggy Pants= Pain for Life?


On average, I treat over a dozen young people a year with problems directly related to wearing baggy pants. The way people have to walk in order to keep their pants from falling down causes the hip joint to support posture awkwardly. Hence, the legs rotate inwardly at the knees, and the feet turn outward to keep balance.

What you don't know is, walking this way can cause hip degeneration and low back problems. Further, rotating your legs like this every day can lead to life-long knee mis-alignments and bunions.

Forget long-term participation in sports and recreation! In my Reposturing Dynamics practice, I help people of all ages improve posture, flexibility and sports performance. However, I just cringe when I see these young people who have no idea that by this one fashion statement, they may have doomed themselves to over $500k in medical bills and years of chronic joint pain and physical inconvenience.

I used to think that the health-costs of women wearing high-heels was bad-enough. But there was always some social or aesthetic benefit that justifies the choice. I can't get my wife out of them.

Nevertheless, when guys wear baggy pants, the potential long-term health-costs are astronomical. Still, I can't find a girl who thinks a guy is sexy when he wears his pants down to his knees and walks like a penguin to keep them up. How cool is that?

No comments: